Last updated 09-Aug-2016.
I'm currently seeking a volunteer for the position of "someone to coordinate purchases so that Michael doesn't receive the same gift from multiple people".
This list is split into sections, listed in no particular order:
Can't be arsed reading the entire list? Expensive stuff: a contribution towards my DSLR body upgrade, or ultrawide lens. Cheap stuff: various accessories (macro extension tubes, neutral density filters that you can generally buy off DealeXtreme and other similar sites. Otherwise I will always welcome the bread-and-butter gifts from my tshirt/CD/DVD lists.
Harder to find
Try REAL music stores like 78's or Dada's. In approximate preferential order:
- Biosphere - Substrata, a classic ambient album.
- (various artists) - BBQ Beets II: "Return Of The Yams"
- Aes Dana - Memory Shell
- Bluetech - Elementary Particles (try 78s?)
- Bluetech - Prima Materia (try 78s?)
- Kip Mazuy - Ocean Euphoric
- Kid Loco - DJ-Kicks (try 78s or JB?)
- Jazzanova - Jazzanova EP
- Hiatus Kaiyote - Tawk Tomahawk
- Easy Star All-Stars - Dub Side of the Moon
- Easy Star All-Stars - Dubber Side of the Moon
- Solar Fields - blue moon station
- Smog - Red Apple Falls (try 78s?)
- ? Sasha - Airdrawndagger (try 78s?)
- ? X-Dream - Irritant
Easier to find
Places like JB HiFi will have some of these, or can at least order them in. Also in approximate preferential order:
- Robin Guthrie & Harold Budd - After the Night Falls
- Robin Guthrie & Harold Budd - Before the Day Breaks
- Aphex Twin - Selected Ambient Works Volume II
- Simone and Girlfunkle - Hurry, Harry
- UNKLE - Psyence Fiction
- James Blake - Overgrown
- Jean Michel Jarre - Oxygene
- Brian Eno - Ambient 1: Music for Airports
- Harold Budd & Brian Eno - Ambient 2: The Plateaux of Mirror
- Harold Budd - The Pavilion Of Dreams
- Boards of Canada - In a Beautiful Place Out in the Country
- Boards of Canada - Music Has the Right the Children
- Zero 7 - Simple Things
- Joanna Newsom - Have One on Me
- Abbe May - Design Desire
- Faith No More - The Real Thing
- The Orb - The Orb's Adventures Beyond the Ultraworld (UK releases are a double album, dunno which release Australia gets)
- Future Sound of London - Dead Cities
- Vangelis - Voices
- Jean Michel Jarre - Équinoxe
- The Mars Volta - Amputechture
- The The - Soul Mining
- Archer (seasons 1, 2, 3, & 4)
- Sherlock (Season 2, and Season 3 once they get around to writing, filming and releasing it...)
- Deadpool (once released)
In very loosely descending priority within vendor. Some of these have been on the list for a while, so might be out of stock (or even 404). I'm a Medium.
- Kangaroo, Dark. It looks very dangerous, we must deal with it.
- Sithrak, an insane god for an unjust world @Topatoco
- Learn to kern (sold out)
- sushillusion @Glennz
- Giraffe Crush @Topatoco
- Shirt of Ultimate Disambiguation @ThinkGeek
- Try Another Hole @ThinkGeek
- Slurm (bah, 404) @ThinkGeek
- Aperture Laboratories Polo Shirt @ThinkGeek -->
- The Thinkgeek 8-bit tie @ThinkGeek
- I Never Finish Anyth @ThinkGeek
- There's no place like 127.0.0.1 @ThinkGeek
- All Glory to the Hypnotoad (bah, 404) @ThinkGeek
- Minecraft Confused @ThinkGeek
- Show Your Work @ThinkGeek
- Science To Do - Portal Shirt @ThinkGeek
- AV @Threadless
- Transition @Threadless
- Hugs keep up alive! @Threadless
- Pillow Fight @Threadless
- Cookies @Threadless
- Birds & the Bees @Threadless
- Haikus are easy, but sometimes... @Threadless
- Nostalgia was Better in the Old Days @Threadless
- 104 Airplanes @Threadless
- Know Your Nerds @Threadless
- We've got some work to do now @Threadless
- Damn Scientists @Threadless
- Where the heart is @Threadless
- Some choices are just out of reach @Threadless
- In case of fire @Threadless
- Light painter @Threadless
- Photographer @Threadless
- Architecture 101 @Threadless
- You autocomplete me @Threadless
- Last night @Threadless
- Music snob @Threadless
- Blender @Threadless
- Love your fellow as yourself @Threadless
These shirts don't seem to exist any more. But I still want one!
- Dracula from Buttersafe
- Knuth is my Homeboy
- Bruce Schneier knows Alice and Bob's shared secret
- Che Stallman
- Greendale Street @TeeFury (too late!)
- evolution @Glennz
- crashtest @Glennz
- waterbombsquad @Glennz
- callsurgeon @Glennz
- You never forget your first time @Topatoco (404!)
- Telling! @Topatoco (404!)
- Awkward Half-Hug @Topatoco (404!)
- One Continuous Mistake @Topatoco (404!)
- (404) Air travel surprisingly safe @Topatoco
- One Continuous Mistake black @Topatoco
- THERE. now i'm not naked anymore @Topatoco
- Community 8-bit @ThinkGeek
- Star Wars Asteroids @ThinkGeek
- Aperture Laboratories Work Shirt @ThinkGeek
- He's Undead, Jim @ThinkGeek
- Photosynthesis UV-Sensitive Shirt @ThinkGeek
- Tux Golf Shirt @ThinkGeek
- Evolution @ThinkGeek
- 11 Cheers for Binary @ThinkGeek
- Rays Cast @ThinkGeek
- Disaster Area @ThinkGeek
- Ctrl Alt Shift Kill @ThinkGeek
- Plotting for Your Heart @ThinkGeek
- UFO not
- Compact wireless keyboard with touchpad (for media PC).
- I always need more hard drives (though the Thailand floods have made them super expensive). I prefer 7200 RPM. It doesn't -have- to be Caviar Black.
- I have a useful Steam wishlist (you'll need to have a steam account yourself).
- Neverwinter Nights (half price until, er, 02-jan-2012)!
- The Calculus Affair (1956)
- The Red Sea Sharks (1958)
- Tintin in Tibet (1960)
- Philip Francis Nowlan - Armageddon 2419 A.D.
- One day I'll add a list of Discworld novel I don't own yet. I have a soft spot for the Josh Kirby covers.
Inexpensive accessories (in descending priority):
- Kenko DG Extension Tube Set, in Canon flavour. The Kenko DG set seems well regarded, and are available from many places (eg. here).
- no-name extension tube sets from DX are also fine.
- 52mm Canon lens reversing adapter.
- Neutral Density variable ND2-ND400 Filter, 52mm diameter.
- I think I'm good for memory cards, but I won't say no to another 8GB or larger UHS-1 specced (eg. SANdisk Extreme) card...
- Wired or IR remote shutter release. These are super cheap on DealeXtreme.
In approximately descending order of priority; greyed out sections serve merely as a note to self for when I am feeling rich...
- Lens: ultrawide zoom:
- Canon 10-18mm f/4.5-5.6 EF-S IS STM ($399 as of Mar 2016)
- or perhaps one of those cheap Russian low-CA but low-sharpness primes?
- Camera body upgrade:
- Lens: 50mm prime upgrade (this section may need more research):
- Canon EF 50mm f1.4 USM (~$448 as of Mar 2016)
- Sigma 50mm f1.4
- Lens: long term 18-55 replacement (this section probably more research):
- Lens: telezoom upgrade (this section needs more research. Prices from Leederville Cameras July 2013):
- Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6 IS USM (~$459) (not actually much of an upgrade)
- Canon EF 70-300mm f4-5.6L IS USM (~$1499)
- Canon EF 70-300mm f4.5-5.6 DO IS USM (~$1699) (but if the 100-400 only costs $100 more...)
- Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM (~$1799)
- A Camera House voucher could also work.
- Someone (preferably qualified) to wander around my ceiling to install ethernet in my house. I already possess a 100m roll of cable...
- Non-crappy hi-fi speakers, such as two of these.
- Lego :P (Technic, mindstorms, games, ...)
- Sculpture: http://www.bathsheba.com/sculpt/minimetal.html
- Cable tester: http://www.thinkgeek.com/gadgets/tools/8510/
- Shoes: something identical to my current Roc's. Must have rubber sole (otherwise it will develop enormous cracks within a year or so like every plastic-sole shoe I've ever owned). I'm a size 10.
Add Selected Ambient Works Volume II, and a pair of Robin Guthrie/Harold Budd albums.
Add hydraulic press shirt
Add Sithrak shirt. Move a bunch of shirts to the "no longer available" section.
Add Biosphere - Substrata; revised camera sections.
Add lens reversing adapter; add reference to Discworld novels.
Massaged Camera section a bit more; added Canon's new 10-18mm STM as preferred lens; added tl;dr section.
Reorganised the Camera section a bit, added Canon 760D, fixed links for 70D.
Added wireless keyboard.
Revised and greyed out my camera lens "think out loud" sections.
Added Armageddon 2419 A.D.
Added SD cards, James Blake albums, and tele mirror lens. Removed Flickr Pro account.
Converted plain text list to HTML for improved readability. Revised shirt list.
Removed xmas loot, added Hiatus Kaiyote.
Revised CD list, added DVDs!